Pencil skirt and a peplum. This blog post is being written as I construct this outfit. In my mind’s eye this project should turn out womanly, classy, with a bit of sass. My friend Cinnaspice sent this beautiful African fabric to me and I simply must do it justice. The only thing missing is a matching head wrap because I do not have the hutzpah to pull it off. Tis a shame too. A new pair of shoes would be nice to wear with it but one must not get beside oneself, eh.
Folkwear 255 has been in my stash for upwards of 20 years. This is the first time I cut the tissues. One day I will make the entire swing suit. Perhaps with dupioni or something fabulous. But, for now, let’s focus on the pencil skirt. The pattern goes up to an x-large, 34″ waist, 44″ hips both of which are smaller than me. Pattern grading is not my forte, but I did the best I could for now. You see, the goal is to wear my outfit on Saturday, April 1 and today is March 26 (1 week, ay yi yi).
The steps I took:
- Measured self
- Compared numbers of envelope (knew I would be off the chart – yuk, yuk).
- Measured the tissue minus the darts.
- Tissue fit the skirt pieces, kinda sorta.
- Added necessary measurement by taping additional tissue paper down the length of the back and front pieces and the waist band.
The toile shows that the top is too big overall. There is too much cleavage and check out the shoulders. The princess seam is not lying over the apex either. Simply too big! I always do that. Look at the pattern envelope, pick the size that I should fit, if in between I go up a size. Now, I was taught all patterns (well most) are for a size “B” bust. Yet, look at this. There was no way I needed a full bust adjustment. Right?
I realize I should finish my seams with binding. As you know, I have a hand crank sewing machine and quite frankly I do not want to use time binding them. So, I decided to pink the seams instead. While writing, it occurred to me that I should line this skirt. Hmmm, I may have something in my stash. I have yet to line an unlined skirt. I’ll bet it is simple to do, right?
Meanwhile, I hung the skirt at the end of a sewing session and it looks like a big rectangle; not a classy, sexy pencil skirt!
The next morning lo and behold Gertie is modeling one of her dresses and commented that she tailors the knee area to make it “Mad Men” style. That is it! I decided to chop away at my skirt. I should have written the measurements, but I simply put the skirt on inside out and commenced to pinning it next to my body where I wanted the new seam. Truth be told I re-sewed the waist area at least three times making it smaller. Now, think about it, I have cut away all the extra inches added from the tissue fitting. Obviously I need pattern fitting lessons for not only am I wasting fabric, but I am wasting time.
Sorry for the blur. Working on antiquated public library computers and programs! You probably can’t tell, but the top fit superbly. Fitted at waist and comfy. The skirt does not look “Mad Men”, but it is okay. Hiking it up to use the restroom proved to be interesting as it is. I don’t know how Gertie gets into all her way cool slim pencil skirts and dresses.
The skirt lining came out swell. Kinda proud of myself for attempting it. Now I will have to purchase lining fabric for most of my upcoming skirt projects. Sigh, who said sewing one’s own clothing is less expensive, LOL.