In the interest of time I am going to combine sharing this blouse and the skirt I mentioned in an earlier post. These photos were taken with my Samsung 3 by the hubby and I am not a happy camper as to how they turned out. The fabric used in this blouse is gorgeous and it does not show here and I apologize. I think my 2016 blogging aspirations will include a better product camera for me. But, back to the garments at hand.
This is the third Portrait blouse project that I have worked on. Try as I might I have not found information on the history of this blouse. I just assumed it is from the 1950s. ETA: I just found a blog post about the history of the portrait blouse. It stands to reason that Gertie, the originator of the repro. had information about it. Truly, it is from the 1950s, YAY!
- Silk Fashion Fabric – eBay, Less than $5
- Lining – cotton from stash
- Thrifted zipper – free
- Gutermann thread – from stash
- Bias binding – from stash
All-and-all, I would say this pretty silk blouse cost less than $8.00.
Now, you gals know I promised the good, the bad, and the ugly so here goes. This skirt is chock full of errors and mistakes that any self-respecting sewist would either rip and re-do or ditch it.
For starters check out that hem. The bottom of this skirt should have been continuous. This fabric is a jersey knit which was soft to the touch and probably should have been a dream to work with. I believe my Tabitha needs adjusting as the stitch length never changes. No matter how far to the left or right I turn the dial . . . NADA.
I thought we took a shot of how the front and back of this skirt do not line up correctly. See the asymmetrical shape of piece number one and two (from top to bottom)? The skirt goes from small to large and on the back it should have corresponded from large to small. Here is a photo of the envelope and you’ll see what I mean; look at View C.
Well, my skirt is all wonky and doesn’t line up properly. Confession time (again). This skirt was a disaster from beginning to end. I attempted drafting the pattern up to fit me. As you see, this is a multi-sized 12 – 16 (purchased this baby eons ago when I was a lil thang). Now, I am a size 22 or more (46″ hips). I added 5″ to the waist, upper hip area in accordance with all the measuring that I did. Armed with Joi Mahon’s pattern fitting book, which I obviously did not follow close enough, (rushing to get the skirt done – a definite no-no); I attempted to make the pattern larger way no. 1 at first (adding at the edges of the pattern. Didn’t like that so tried way no. 2 (splitting down the middle and spreading). No wait, reorder the two ways, I did no. 2 first then no. 1. I really should have taken a picture of the disfigured pattern pieces. I am so not proportionate in my middle; lumps, bumps everywhere. I resemble the Michelin Tire man – a buncha stacked tires.
Add insult to injury the fabric looks so very similar on both sides. I laid out the pattern pieces incorrectly which contributed to the incorrect outcome and pieces not lining up due to some being on the right side and others being on the wrong side and me not noticing! Ay yi yi.
As if all that weren’t enough all the additions I did to get the thing to fit around my waist and butt, it would up TOO BIG!!!! By the end of the day the waist area was too big. Thankfully my butt kept it from falling off.