Finally, my Sew Retro Rose project has come to fruition. It took me forever and a day to decide what to make with this pretty fabric. Thankfully M6959 a wrap dress came along. The intention was to wear the dress a couple of Sundays ago; however, I followed the kind advice of my Sew Retro Rose cyber sewing friends and allowed it to hang 24 hours before hemming (bias skirt and all). Er ah, it wound up hanging for several days.
Okay everybody, I am so impatient. I have been wanting and wanting to don this frock again to get decent pics. You see, what – what happened was, I lowered the resolution on my cell phone to make sending photographs easier. Well, now the darn thing is too small.
I reaaally wanted to share this post with you gals and don’t want to wait another week or more. IF I wind up getting larger pics no one will see them because this post will then be old. Ay yi yi. Awww, I’m just going for it, my impatience has won out. I do commit to adding larger photographs at some point in the future.
The frock was comfy to wear. Aren’t all wrap dresses that way though? The skirt area overlap is adequate (thank gawd). When I made the musin I was happy with the bodice overlap (the girls weren’t hanging out); however, when I completed the dress with my fashion fabric, not so much. Sew, I am going to make a triangular shaped modesty panel out of the fashion fabric to place over the small bit of cleavage that may show if I move a certain way. Honestly, I couldn’t figure out how to raise the bodice crossover area without it looking crazy. I did not want or need to add to the waist and every scenario I came up with seemed to include a curve to make the crossover raised and I did not want that look. I like the crisp “x” of the original crossover design. Did that make sense to you gals? Not sure if I explained myself correctly.
I have read standard patterns are created for the “B” cup; however, I did not bother with a FBA for these “D” girls at all. The pattern did not come with multi-bust pattern tissues. Perhaps the need for a FBA is lessened with some of the big 4 companies?
My fav part – the bias trim. This pattern called for goo gobs of bias trim. Well, let’s just say it’s the most I have used in a single project. Oh wait, no, I lied for my Robson coat took a slew of bias tape. But, the difference is this frock shows all the pretty bias. Bias is one of those vintage style trademarks too I understand. This was my first try at the mitered corner. Definitely room for improvement. But, anything I keep at will get better. The old “practice makes perfect” saying fits here. I just remembered, I ran out of bias trim several inches away from the finish line, ay yi yi. Thankfully I had more pink bias trim in my stash; BUT, it was a skosh smaller than the large size on the rest of the frock. I wound up putting the smaller around the neck edge and down the less prominent edge of the front (the left side actually). I am considering purchasing more of the larger bias trim and simply placing it on top of the smaller. When I laid a piece over it the other day it was not overly bulky which surprised me. Mr. Lyric thinks I should leave it be and that no one would notice. But, you and I know that’s probably not accurate (wishful thinking).
It would be nice to have a pair of vintage style leather, low wedge, ankle wrap-around shoes in pink to go with this dress. Bottom line, I love the fabric, I like this dress. It was a fun, quick, project. Oh, and I added side seam pockets (not part of the original design). How fun!
Your girl Lyric
P. S. The shoes I wore have a kitten heel, zip up the back, and are satin! 🙂