When I saw this fabric a couple of weeks ago I just had to have it. I wanted to make a 50s style dress for a trip to New York trip but couldn’t swing the money for enough yardage. A skirt then to the rescue. This is a second Sew Serendipity project for me. One reason I love that book is that it includes tissue patterns; yay!
It took all of two days to make the skirt. It’s amazing what one can accomplish when focused, LOL. Of course for those two days everything else went to heck in a hand basket as I worked feverishly to complete the skirt by Wednesday. We won’t even talk about my quilting cotton jones. I love working with it. Now, if only I could figure out how to keep the colours bright. I am noticing my quilted totes of cotton look dull even after one wash.
In-seam side pockets were added. All ladies’ wear should have pockets in my humble opinion.
For some reason I am on a bias-tape kick. Therefore, I enclosed all inside seams with matching cotton, bias tape. My goodness it makes seams oh so neat. I have one or two of the little contraptions for making bias tape. I have read instructions on how to “easily” make my own. But, by golly it reads as a big ole chore. I know I am going to have to master the technique and need to quit procrastinating. Oh, and I used it for the trim and bow tie between the white ruffle and the patterned skirt.
- Main fabric 2 1/2 yards – Jo-Ann Fabrics clearance rack (approximately $12)
- Bias trim – from stash
- White ruffle fabric – repurposed white cotton from India initially used to make a vintage style Regency gown
- Zipper – from stash
- Difficulty – advanced beginner
- Would I recommend to others: yup
The Sew Serendipity patterns are easy to work with and fun to make. The two skirts that I have made fit me to a tee. What I have been doing is adjusting the waist to fit before sewing the side seams. My waist to hip ratio does not fit the pattern makers standard numbers so I have been cutting out the fabric per the pattern lines; putting on the garment and pinning so that it fits me; then, sewing the side seams. There will definitely be more coming from me and Tabitha. As a matter of fact I would love to tackle the tunic dress pattern included with the book.