One just wouldn’t do; no way. Sew, here is my second Minoru jacket pattern by Sewaholic. Check out the dude or dudette riding the bicycle out on the road. I just had to leave that feature in my photo, giggles.
What can I say about working this project? I am still in love with the cuteness that is Minoru. Let’s get to the down and dirty of this project:
- Outer fabric – Bed sheet, cotton blend, maybe $1.00
- Lining, cotton with a tad of stretch, no more than $6.00
- Separating zipper – $5.00
- 2″ elastic – $4.00 ish
I opted to not line the hood this time figuring there would be less bulk in the neck area. When the lining fabric arrived I was tempted to use it for the outside of the jacket, LOL. But, since my first Minoru was “lively” I opted for a plain Lyrical one and stuck with the pink outside.ps.
Since I promised the good, bad, and ugly of my projects I must confess some hiccups on my part. For one, I used black elastic for the waist and wrists. It is glaringly obvious. But, when I put white up to the fabric it was no better. I should have doubled the fabric in the casing especially at the waist.
Trying to be a big girl I decided to add side inseam pockets. Ay yi yi. First of all, I forgot to put ’em in. Sew I had to rip the side seams to include them. I think they are a skosh too low. Hey, it was my first time attempting such a thing so I am not going to tar and feather myself . . . this time. I also wish I could have found a baby pink separating zipper. You would not believe all I went through to get a separating zipper the proper length at all.
Another thing that is on my mind about this project . . . .this jacket was initially made to wear on a trip to the Nederlands. My ticket is for April 9th and I am unable to go. I was simply distraught about it all (long story). Needless to say it was increasingly difficult to complete this jacket. Truly, I am heart sick about it all. Add to it all that it is 80 degrees in the shade here . . . sigh, talk about no motivation to complete. So, today I just pushed through, sewed the hem (improperly) just to “git r done”.
Many people said the sleeves on the Minoru were very long. One sewist even called them “gorilla sleeves”; bwwahhh haaa. But, guess what, I decided to lengthen them on this project by 1″ I think. Additionally, I lengthened the jacket by 3 or 4″; I don’t remember this second. I wanted it to fall further below my bum than my first one. Oh, and I did a 1.5″ fba just to see the difference. Looking at the photos I probably should have opted for an even longer zipper. If I do another I want the separating zipper with two heads to make sitting and driving in her comfy.
Overall, a pleasing project to sew and I am looking forward to wearing this probably early 2016 when it gets cold again.