My latest obsession is making a Robson coat by Sewaholic. I wrote about it some weeks back but feel the sew-a-long with Rhonda Buss deserves it’s own place on my blog. If you are a fast sewer you may still join in to complete it by month’s end. After all, you’ve got six days and now all the instructions are up to help you along the way. It is not overly difficult but it does have a lot of pattern pieces.
Jill, of Sew News Blog, has been very helpful in completing this coat. She stated that the pockets were the most difficult part of the pattern and thanks to Rhonda’s videos and Jill’s take on things I found the pockets a breeze to whip up.
The pattern is originally made sans lining. Thankfully I stumbled upon Seamstress Erin’s blog that shows how to interline the Robson. Yay! Of course, I did not follow the directions to a tee for underlining. Sometimes I wish I had Internet access while I am working on projects versus the way I have been going about it. It seems things did not compute relative to binding certain edges for you see I have two styles of binding my interlining. Thankfully the seam where you see the white above (edges bound separately) is the back and thus will be centered. All the other seams will be bound doubly as per the original pattern instructions. When I take final photos wearing the coat that seam will be hidden. If I had a dressform I would do a total inside out photo.
Here are more links about underlining the Robson.
The addition of a dressform to my sewing trailer (ahem, sewing studio, that is) would be a welcome addition. I continue to hope. Even if only for garment photo shoots.
One of these days I am going to read up on how to ALWAYS get top stitching accurate and even. Here I have completed one side of the back to side seams including the top stitching. I am working on a vintage early 20th century sewing machine and there is no stitch variation. Imagine red thread instead of the black for the top stitching?
Something wonderful happened to me today. My cyber sewist girlfriend is sharing these cute buttons for my Robson coat.
I have got to tell you about these way cute buttons. Well, first of all Angela was an original tester for the Robson Coat! How cool is that! Me – participating in the same sew-a-long as Angela (Sew Retro Rose’s Swirl Dress SAL). Now get this . . . . these buttons were originally destined for her Robson Coat. And now they are actually going to be joined to one. YAY!!! You see, red is my favorite color AND getting this gift from Angela along with bias trim from Holland – well, let’s just say it is blowing my mind in a good way.
Twill fabric – eBay – $1.99/yd x 5 yards
Strawberry Bias Trim – Gifted from my sewist girl, Irene, The Nederlands
Cherry Buttons – Gifted from my sewist girl, Angela, Vancouver
Interlining fabric – Thrifted @ under $12.00
The SAL leader mentioned the pockets being a bit fussy but I found them a breeze. The part that gave me fits was the collar and shoulder flap. For some reason when pinning the collar it was larger than the neck area. I re-cut another piece thinking perhaps I did not cut out the proper size of the multi-sized pattern piece. That wasn’t it though the second piece did fit better. The two layered collar, plus the shoulder flaps made for a very thick neck area and yes I basted the pieces before final sewing. I’m still not sure exactly where I went wrong.
Also, the sleeves gave me a challenge. Read all about that here. Thankfully it all came out right in the end and yes, resoundingly, I would recommend this pattern to others and I would make another Robson coat in a heartbeat.
P.S. I stumbled upon a blogger acquaintance’s site and found good information about trench coats. Check it out here.
Sobriety from electronic sewing since 2012